Second 3-board meeting for downtown redevelopment
The Forney City council, Forney Economic Development Corp, and the Planning & Zoning board held a joint workshop on Oct. 8 to consider priorities for downtown redevelopment.
City manager Brooks asked the members to fill out a ballot to prioritize these items:
- Sidewalk repair, replacement and/or reconstruction, including crosswalks
- Railroad crossing quiet zones, probably using cheaper methods than the budgeted way horns
- Closing one of the downtown RR crossings, saving money on quiet zone costs and freeing up some land
- Future splitting of FM740/Bois D'arc through downtown into two one-way roads
- Adding more parking for downtown
- Adding landscaping, planters, benches and other beautification items
- Creating a variance for the sale of alcohol
- limiting the number of office uses, so more businesses will generate retail sales
- Purchasing the FISD (old FBC) property, probably removing some of the buildings.
- Programs to provide rent assistance to encourage property enhancement or business type
- Tax Increment Financing district to provide funding
- Find some permanent means for generating funding for downtown improvements.
The meeting lasted 1hr 20min.